Thursday, June 19, 2008

Swimming and Soccer and Reading, OH MY!

Well, the summer activities have begun (and I'm already tired!) Why does it always seem so much busier during the "resting" time of summer?
Anyway, the girls started the library reading program last week. They meet every Wednesday afternoon for an hour and a half. They read books, do projects, have a snack, etc. Then afterwards, we bring their reading log to the library to get a prize (for reading their goal) and check out more books. It's been nice having the motivation to get them to read!
Swimming lessons are this week and next, M-Th before lunch. Erin was really nervous, but after 10 seconds in the pool she was fine. She even jumped off the diving board (into a life guard's arms) even though she said she wouldn't, and was terrified when she did it. :) Alana seems a lot more confident this year. Still really quiet in her group, but definately more confident.

Soccer was an experience...this time, Erin pulled a fast one on me! She's been so excited for soccer...although nervous because she thought she wasn't good enough to "make the team". Really, she's awesome...a natural. So we check in with her coach, get her tshirt, and send her out to practice with her teammates on the field. She wouldn't budge.
What the ???? She's crying. "I'm not playing. I'm not playing." This from Alana, yes, but not Erin. So I struggle for about 10 minutes, encouraging her, standing on the field with her, asking another quiet girl what her name is... you get the picture. In the meantime, I'm trying to tell the coaches that this is not my daughter. :) I also recall the words, "Why are you doing this to me?!?!" coming out of my mouth. Not one of my finer parenting moments.
Then the coaches told the kids to line up in 2 lines to practice some drills...and she did it. So I quietly snuck off the field. That was it. As soon as the whistle blew she flew into action. Always right in the middle of it. She's a competitor, alright. And faster than heck! Her team won. Alana's didn't, but I'm not sure she cared much. She ran when she was supposed to, kicked the ball when she was near it, guarded the goal, but all with not much enthusiasm. That's my girl! :)




No comments: