Monday, September 21, 2009

My Uneventful Eventful Weekend

Huh? Well, you see, Friday was my 36th birthday. And Saturday was our 11th Anniversary. Sorry to those who were expecting some sort of reminder...I don't do that. These days I try to forget about birthdays. Well, except that I should get to do whatever I want on that day. :) And I sort of did...did some scrapping, and I was able to attempt a nap anyway (not much luck on that front lately...not sure why, as I'm exhausted). Barry grilled steak and shrimp for dinner...yum! We watched football Friday night...yes, I'm a geek that way. Football is the one sport I enjoy watching on tv. Saturday, Barry had to go into work after lunch (happy Anniversary?), so I was mostly on my own. I did more scrapping (did 3 more baby shower invites for a job done for Barry's cousin, a few cards, and a couple of layouts...pictures at bottom).

Last fall, when the girls asked me how old I'd be, I had a bit of a panic. I first had to do the math to figure it out (see, I told you I'm not big on my birthdays!), and then I was greatly relieved that I'd only be 35. That seemed much better than 36, which seemed like so much closer to "over the hill". But I must have matured over the past year, because I really didn't have a problem with 36 this year. Either that, or I had just had enuf time to resign myself to the number 36. But really, I'm pretty happy in my skin, so to speak. I'm more confident spiritually, emotionally....even physically. I got back on the scale the morning of my birthday (I know, scary). But it made my day to realize that I'd "fallen" off the plateau and had lost 5 more pounds...38 in all. I guess that helps a bit to make this birthday better...to realize I've lost more pounds than my age. :) Happy birthday to me!

Oh, Friday evening, as we were in the process of booking our South Dakota hotel rooms online, we both decided to save the trip for next year. Basically, we just didn't feel peace about it...too much money, too much time, etc. It was planned a little last-minute, and if we wait til next fall we can save up for it. I threw out that maybe we could take a mini-trip to Green Bay and Door County, and he was all for that. So, if I ever find a place to board Cassie, we'll be on our way Sunday. The plan would be to arrive in Green Bay on Sunday afternoon and go straight to the Bay Beach Amusement Park, which is only open til 6 pm, and only on weekends. Then Monday morning we'll take the Lambeau tour, visit the NEW Zoo, and then head up to Sister Bay. We're actually going to stay in the same hotel that we stayed in on our honeymoon 11 years ago! I'm excited...I liked Door County, and I'm hoping it will be a beautiful, nature-filled and relaxing few days.

I have to share something I read in my current Beth Moore book, "Believing God". On Sunday I woke up to this sunrise (I'm up by 6:30 every morning for my God-time, and it just so happens to coincide with the current sunrise time).


Beautiful, isn't it? Trust me...the picture didn't do it justice. Anyway, a few minutes later, I was reading in Beth's book about the "boring", day-to-day fundamentals of our walk with Christ...prayer, being in the Word, attending church, giving, etc. Our God is a God of order, of repetition. She quotes G. K. Chesterton, "It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the sun; and every evening, 'Do it again' to the moon." Beth goes on to say, "God likes order. He likes repetition. A God of fundamentals, He brings up the sun every morning and the moon every evening, but His creativity within that order is gorgeously displayed in the changing sunsets and sunrises surrounding them."

It makes me smile to think of God, the most creative, fantastic artist in the universe, saying to the sun & moon, "Do it again!" like my giggling kids being thrown into the air by their grampa. Why do I get up early every day to spend time with God and in His Word? Because I NEED that time with Him. But also because God likes it. Beth Moore suggests that perhaps we can think of God saying, "Do it again, Child!" each morning when I wake up to be with Him. I like that thought. I hope you do, too... And I think the beautiful sunrise He greeted me with Sunday morning was His way of making these words and thoughts meaningful and memorable to me...

Here are those cards I whipped up...














1 comment:

Marcie said...

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a great trip!