Tuesday, September 29, 2009

More Vacation Pics

I'm barely keeping my eyes open to post these pics. I need a nap...bad. But I can't waste vacation time in Door County on naps. But seriously, my bed will be calling my name...screaming my name...on Friday! :)

We began our day at a couple of shops here in Sister Bay...not really exciting, nothing fun. Then we drove outside of Fish Creek (two towns down the peninsula) to Hands On Art Studio. If I ever win the lottery, I'm creating this kind of place. Here's how it works: each "artist" pays a $7 studio fee, and you can "play" all day, but each project has a fee. Let's put it this way: for the girls to make two small glass "plates", the material fee was $47. Ugh. Otherwise, I woulda joined them! We could either do mosaic glass on wood bases, paint ceramics, weld with metal, or create glass stuff (it gets melted in a kiln). And yes, Mom, if I ever get such a studio, you can join me!!!
Here's the girls working...we pick up their finished products tomorrow.












Then we headed to Jacksonport (with a late picinic lunch in the van) to visit Whitefish Dunes State Park...this the first time we've been to the Lake Michigan side of the peninsula. We were hoping it would be a little less windy on that side. It may have been, but it was still freezing...and we were under-dressed. This park is known for it's huge sand dunes. We tried going on a 3 mile hike (although it was basically a walking/biking trail) and everyone wanted to quit before we made it half-way. :) The trail had been thru the woods, but we chose to walk back along the beach. I figured we could walk in the woods anywhere, but a Lake Michigan beach was a rarity for us! It was cold, but enjoyable.






And this is why I'm always on the otherside of the camera! Jeez...I'm bundled up in two bulky sweatshirts and the wind was just killing my hair! Ugh.
Now, back in the van, the kids were whiney and tired (Barry, too) but I convinced Barry to drive into the connected Cave Point County Park...just for a picture. :) But it was very cool...and pretty!



Now, I'm probably gonna have nightmares tonite. See my daughters? See how it looks like their standing on a rock right by the water. Well, they are, except that the rock is actually a cliff with huge waves crashing into them below.


Once the girls got a look at the rocky beach, they took off running. So much for being tired! Barry's comment? "One rocky patch is the same as another!" :) Hiking on rocks is much more "their thing". I loved the sound of the waves coming in...very loud. Very cool.
On the way home, I talked Barry into swinging by Cana Island Lighthouse. The girls would have preferred to just go back to the hotel and swim. But jeez, it was a long drive up here...I'd like to see as much as we can. So we went. The bad thing was that we couldn't go to the top of the lighthouse cuz of the high winds.





And then....we went back to the hotel. Wow. Once I went thru all of these pics, I realized just how much we had done today. No wonder I'm tired. A hot dinner was much appreciated. And then we took a soak in the hot tub. Life is good here in Door County! I still miss my dog, though. And my bed. And my naps. :)
Not sure what's up for tomorrow. It'll be cold again, but supposedly the wind will be down and the sun will be out. We're going to try Peninula State Park for sure. Maybe a couple of shops...I'd like to go into a gallery or two. And we had planned on doing a fish boil for dinner....but they're really expensive (at least for us common folk). And it seems even worse when you're not supposed to eat half of the meal...potatoes, bread, and cherry pie. We'll see. I'm pretty sure the girls won't be so impressed with boiled fish, having had Grampa's fish fries their entire lives. :)
Ok, gotta hit the sack. Thanks for making it this far!





















No comments: