Thursday, May 14, 2009

Well, I talked with nutritionist, Karen Hurd, on Saturday, and we now have Erin on the bean diet, too. I'm guessing her doctors wouldn't be happy...but the "diet" they've had her on has never made sense to me. We were actually feeding her MORE carbs post-diagnosis than we were before it. And as Karen said, that just makes her dependent on the insulin. If we cut her carbs, she'll need less. She talked of a specific 7 year old diabetic who is now completely off of insulin shots because of how she's eating. Erin was all for no shots...until she discovered she couldn't have fruit or her nightly ice cream! :) But it's getting easier every day. The girls still have fits and cry...but so do I. I think they understand that I'm doing it for their health...that's my job...my calling.

Other people, so far, seem to have the same kind of reaction as they do to my homeschooling..."that's great for you, but I'd never do it!" Some have had almost a negative reaction...but I got the same about homeschooling. I know with homeschooling, some feel "guilty" for not doing the same, and so they turn on homeschooling and those who do it. It may be the same with this. I don't know how long we'll make it on this program. But it takes on a whole new meaning when it's your kids' health at stake...not just a few pounds.

It's been a busy week...at least for us. Monday I went to the dentist, Tuesday we went bowling for Girl Scouts, yesterday Erin's friend, Claire, came over to play and then we went to choir, and today I got a much overdue perm. And, yes, I look like a poodle. And I stink, too. :)

We really have a lot of work to do around here. Our basement is still a disaster...piled with boxes of stuff we packed up, tons of clothes to thrift sale, and junk the kids didn't get rid of (yet) but don't want in their rooms. The family is Tony's new "home away from home" and since he's coming home Sunday, we gotta get busy! I was hoping to have the walls painted by then, but I don't see that happening. Barry still says we're going to list the house, so I still need to stay motivated.

Guess that's all for now. I should get busy, but there are too many books awaiting my attention. :)

No comments: