Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Busy Days...

It's been a while since I just talked about life, boring as it may be. But I guess this is the stuff that I'll appreciate looking back on in the future.

Erin's health is good. We do a pretty good job keeping her glucose levels in the norm, but there are days we spend "chasing our tails". Days when we do nothing out of the ordinary, and yet can't keep her levels in range. It is frustrating. We go back to Mayo in March for our 3 month check up, where I will see about changing the care program we're on. I want more control. I want a more hands-on program...which would entail more shots and testing. But I think we are fully capable of handling it, and the tighter control will help to ensure a healthier future for Erin.

We're in the process of having Alana tested for ADD (Attention Deficite Disorder). I'm still struggling with whether having such a diagnosis is better or worse for her or me. And then I'll have to make decisions regarding her treatment, if ADD is indeed what she has, and whether to treat with medication. Those of you who know me well enough can be assured that I have, indeed, check out every book on the topic for my research! :)

Yesterday we cleaned house for the appraiser who came in the afternoon. We're refinancing...for the lower rate, and for lower payments. Life has changed around here. I'm not working...and our medical bills keep going up. And in this economy, the more we can save for a "rainy day", the better. We're just hoping now, in this bad housing market, that our house hasn't lost too much value, messing up our refy plans.

Tonight, Erin has a Girl Scout meeting, and then hopefully we'll be going to my nieces' basketball game. Morgan has been moved up to Varsity, so her and Lexi get to play together. Both have been playing VERY well this year!

It's been a while since I've shared what I've been reading...

Cheating Destiny (Diabetes) The author and his son both have Type 1 Diabetes

Delivered from Distraction (ADD) As with the book above, the author and his children suffer from ADD. It's nice to hear the info coming from people who "know" instead of doctors in their ivory towers. I think the info is more sensitive, compassionate and believable.

The ADD Answer

What Your Explosive Child is Trying to Tell You

Homeschooling the Child with ADD

Honey for a Child's Heart

Essentials of Children's Literature

Charlotte Mason Education (Yep, I'm thinking of tweaking my homeschooling again! I just didn't imagine our days to be filled with "school at home", doing worksheets and tests. Miss Mason lived in the Victorian age in England. She was a promoter of a liberal arts education...music, art, nature study...and a high level of language, math and literature. She believed in short lessons and afternoons free to explore, play, do arts and crafts, etc. I'm already doing a lot of her ideas, but thought I'd study up!)

Pocketful of Pinecones (more Charlotte Mason)

The Wind in the Willows (I've never read this book...and started reading it to the girls last night. We're just in the first chapter and can already see why Miss Mason believes children should be reading these "real" literature books. My girls could probably not successfully read this book on their own, but it does indicate how we've "dumbed down" books for kids. The many "reader" books of today can't hold a candle to the rich language in this book!)

Laurainne Snelling "Dakotah Treasures Series" (she does Christian Historical Fiction...my favorite bedtime genre)


If your next question is to ask if I'm actually reading all of this, the answer is YES. Reading, studying, learning...that's where any free time I get goes to these days. As a mother, I need to become an expert on these things that affect my children. You'll notice that I haven't been posting many scrapbook pages lately. ;) This is why....


Have a good week!

No comments: