Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blessed With Friends!

I've been thinking a lot the last couple of weeks about how important friends are in our lives. Catastrophy seems to bring out the best in true friends...and that has been very true in our lives. The support we've had with Erin's diagnosis has been a true blessing.

This past Saturday, Erin attended the birthday party of her best friend, Claire. Her mom, my good friend, Kari, had brought over dinner for us our first week home from the hospital. Her dad, Corey, had baked Erin diabetic-friendly chocolate chip cookies before Christmas. And for this party, Kari had checked with me beforehand about what Erin could have...she even made Angel Food cupcakes and diabetic frosting! Alana and Erin enjoyed the party...and I was grateful for such awesome friends.

Sunday, the Rennich girls (mom, Kim, Emily (Erin's age), Megan (Alana's age), and 10 yr old McKenna, invited the girls over for an afternoon playdate. Again, Kim was all about what she could do for snacks for Erin. The girls had an awesome time...and I again appreciated the friendship and support.

Last week Erin had her first Girl Scout meeting in a couple of months. It's cookie time, and they were going to sample this year's new cookie. Troop leader, Lori, and good friend of mine, checked with me ahead of time regarding Erin's ability to eat the cookie...and then wrapped one up in an adorable package to take home and enjoy at her snack time. Awesome.

And a couple of weeks ago...Friday, January 9...we took the afternoon off and went bowling. A couple of my awesome friends, Paula and Julia (a fellow homeschooler and supporter) had sent the girls a free game of bowling after our hospital stay. What a thoughtful gift! We had a great time, and it was a great way for us to "celebrate" our first month out of the hospital...a chance to celebrate life!

Then there's my "online" friend, Jenn, who gets to listen to me rant and vent via email! :) She's essential to my sanity!

I have more friends...good friends. And I am sooooo thankful for them all! Thank you, guys!

Here are some pics from our little bowling excursion....

Erin would always carry her ball up to this spot, then squat and set the ball down to get her fingers in the holes....


Nice form, Alana!!!










1 comment:

Jenn :) said...

ahhh I LOVE YOU DUDE!! And I'm SOOOO thankful you have so many awesome people in your life...the support you are getting for Erin is amazing. That is AWESOME!! oh and btw...I tagged ya. :) (cuz that's the kind of great friend I am!! tee hee)