Tuesday, January 6, 2009

2008 In Review

I'm still having problems with my blog...I cannot update from my computer. My computer geek of a husband apparently is really not such a geek afterall, and has so far been unable to figure out the problem. So, I finally gave up and emailed pictures to Barry's laptop so I could post from there. No problem. What's a little more stress and inconvenience in my life? :)

Anyway...here's a quicky review of the most important events of 2008.

Winning over the top spot late in the game (December) is Erin's week at St. Mary's in Rochester and diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes. We are survivors and a weee bit competitive, so we are bound and determined to fight this thing. But it has definitely turned our lives, and sense of security, completely upside down.


At #2 (which would have been #1, if not for the diabetic Hail Mary) is our choice to begin homeschooling one year ago. Although there are many days I fall into bed completely exhausted, and a few days on which you should NOT ask me if I like my precious offspring, I do not for one second question my decision to do this. I love it! I love spending every day with my kids. I love knowing exactly what they're learning...and learning lots right along with them. And I love how we've strengthened our family bonds. And as Erin said the other day, what a blessing to be homeschooling through the stresses of learning to live with diabetes. Amen!

Ok, I'm done ranking events....the rest are just memorable and important to our family.
"The Golf Club Incident". Four stitches caused by a golf club swung by big sis...accidentally, of course. :) Wow. That was soooo not a fun evening.

After 11 years with us, we lost our first furry friend...Colin. He had fought his kidney disease for 2 years. He was a strong, patient, and very loving friend. We miss him every day. Saying goodbye was one of the hardest things we've ever had to do. We love you, Buddy.



Filling in the physical hole left by Colin, we welcomed two orphaned brothers into our family...Zach and TJ. They were about 4 months old when we brought them home in September. And crazy. Absolutely crazy. After living with a mature, calm cat for so many years, these guys were a sight to behold. We've definitely bonded over the last few months, but the craziness (and appetite) hasn't abated much. Our Christmas tree survived, though. Impressive. ;)



We've enjoyed our school field trips over the past year. We saw a children's theatre presentation of "Alexander's Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day", ice skating with a local homeschool group, Como Zoo, Crystal Caves, Pepin, The National Eagle Center, etc.



We welcomed Easton (Amy & Jim's son) into our family on St. Patty's Day (yes, we ARE Irish!). He's adorable. Seriously.

The rest of these pics aren't from any special event...just good pics from the past year that caught my eye tonight.



2008 was a very busy year. We've grown a lot, learned a lot, lost a lot, and gained a lot. We are a truly blessed family. We have wonderful family and friends that are priceless. We have a nice house in a safe and beautiful place, and a good job that provides for our needs. We have lots of love and faith in our Lord. Life is good as we say goodbye to 2008...but we hope 2009 is better! :)









No comments: