Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Mummies & Pyramids & Pharohs, Oh My!

We're just coming out of our section on Ancient Egypt in history. This year, we're following a Classical model of homeschooling, which believes in telling history as a story....starting at the beginning and following it in order. This, to me, makes much more sense than jumping around. Anyway.....

This is our hands-on project, a sugar cube pyramid. We learned all about the Nile and how the Egyptians created the first farms and agricultural practices that are still used today. We learned about hyroglyphics...the first form of writing. We studied pyramids and mummies. Did you know that the Egyptians preserved almost every organ except the brain? They had no idea what it did and therefore, it was not considered important. So much for the first great civilization! :)






After this, we transitioned into stories from the Bible (Abraham and Joseph). I think that's so cool...now my kids know where these "stories" fit into history...they can actually see the setting for them. Cool.






1 comment:

Jenn aka boysmama said...

thanks for 'schooling' me! I had no idea they thought the brain was useless...I tend to agree with them at times. tee hee CUTE pics of the sugar cubes...can't wait to see you scrap 'em!!