Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Homeschool Changes

No, we're not quitting. I'm still just struggling to find our groove. Which, for the first year is absolutely the norm. In fact, or "school" is supposed to change and grow with us as a family, so I guess the learning curve never really goes away.

So, my dear hubby thinks I need to give the girls a break...I'm too tough. This, coming from the man, who although willing to let me try this "homeschooling thing", I don't think really thought I could do it. He thought that either the kids wouldn't listen to me, and/or I'd slack off. Fortunately, neither has happened. The problem is, I try so hard not to fail, that I inadvertantly keep myself from achieving what I wanted. I'm too competitive. I will not fail. And it sure would be nice to kick the public school's butt. :) But there is my pride getting in the way. It's time to re-evaluate our goals.

We want to strengthen our family bonds. We want the girls to look to us, not to their peers. I want them to love God and have a strong, healthy, active relationship with Him. We want them to love learning...and to learn how to learn on their own. This world is full of information...I want them to learn how to find it, and to actually have the will and desire to do so. I want them to be educated, to be able to read and write, be competent in math and science, and to be aware of the people and environment around them. I want them to grow up and be able to do whatever they want to do. That means they should be able to go to college, if they so choose.

It just seems that we spend so much time pounding info and practice into them, that we miss those natural and enjoyable teaching experiences that come along daily. I want to spend more time reading outloud to them, discovering nature, talking..... It's time to back off and let God guide me in this, instead of my pride.

Wish me luck!!! :)

1 comment:

Jenn aka boysmama said...

(((hugs))) it WILL get better...I know that you'll find a way around this obstacle..maybe it's a test..or a learning experience for YOU. :)