Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Nature Study

I'm trying to adopt more of a Charlotte Mason style of teaching. Basically, in a nutshell, this involves shorter lessons, the reading of quality literature and living books instead of watered down textbooks and a focus on nature study. The girls each have a nature notebook to draw in, and we use field manuals and wildlife books to research the things we draw. Most importantly, they learn the habit of slowing down and really seeing, hearing and appreciating God's creation. I love these pictures I got of the girls.









In comparison, there were two boys "fishing" in the creek nearby. They were actually quite busy throwing things into the creek. Logs. Rocks. Branches. It wasn't done in a playful "skipping rocks" way, or experimental "watch it float!" way. They were hellbent on destruction. I thanked God then and there that I had children that appreciated His beautiful creation, instead of being ignorant and destructful.




No comments: