Friday, March 6, 2009

Update

Well, we survived our trip to Mayo. It was exhausting. We tried to get to bed as early as possible...but right at bedtime, Erin said she felt hot and couldn't sleep (which is usually her attempt to stay in my bed). After futile arguing, I let her stay with me, just so we could get to sleep. Soon, she started complaining of a headache...and then she thought she had to throw up. Suddenly, she started shaking like a leaf! We made a run for the bathroom...at the same time I ran for the testing kit to make sure she wasn't super low. At this point she crying, saying, "No, Jesus, please! Not now! Please, Jesus!" Poor kid. She didn't throw up, luckily. And she wasn't low...actually, she was pretty high ( I think because of stress and adrenaline about our trip the next day). She finally slept after 12:30 and I got up at 4am. Not cool.

We made it out the door on time, at 5am. Got to Mayo on time for a fairly relaxing breakfast (although it was mucho expensive and disappointing in it's selection). We met with, Tom, our RN and then the social worker. We were done at 10 and had until 2pm for our next appointment. They hadn't given us an itinerary for the day, so we weren't expecting this break (we would've rather just gotten it over with and gone home!) So, we went to a local mall and killed time at the Dollar Tree store and a pet store. Went back to Mayo for lunch (kids' choice) and then met with our doctor, a couple of psychologists and a dietician. We were done at 4 and kicked butt home to get home for dinner.

Overall, apparently we've done a heck of a job! Erin's A1C was 7.1 was just what they wanted to see. They were very happy with her numbers and how we were working together on this as a family. I did question them about a different program, but was assured that for a child her age, they were quite confident with the program she's on. In fact, one of the studies that I had read of and discussed with her doctor, turned out to be a study he had been involved in! In their experience, the more intense the program they are on as a child, the more likely a kid is to rebel at 11, 12 and above. I feel that my concerns were not dismissed, but were addressed and explained well. She's done so well, in fact, that we don't have to go back for 6 months instead of 3! I must say, diabetes has taken some of the fun out of road-tripping. We don't eat out anymore, just because it seems so difficult with Erin's restrictions. I'm sure in time we'll adjust more. But until then, at least we're saving some cash! :)

I came home to a very happy surprise...Creating Keepsakes wants to publish one of my layouts! For those of you not a member of the crazy scrapping world, CK is like the mother of scrapping magazines. I've been published many times, but until now, I had yet to get into CK or Scrapbooks, Etc. Well, one down, and one to go! I'm amazed and honored.

I took Cassie back in today to have her urine tested AGAIN. She still has a bladder infection (after 3 weeks of antibiotics) but they said it was almost gone, and so this last dose should take care of it. Ugh.

No political rantings today...I don't have the energy. :) I guess at this point, I'm expecting the worse, as is Barry. We both think we're headed for an all-out depression. I have a "calling" of sorts to prepare, but I'm not sure how. Thankfully, Barry still has a good job...and it appears that the company is weathering the storm so far. But what if... Until then, we don't spend willy-nilly...we'll plant a garden come spring... Sometimes I feel like a fruitcake...acting as though the world is coming to an end. However, sometimes I feel that too many people have their heads buried in the sand (or snow, if you live in Wisconsin). :)

And on that happy note, I'll wish you all a happy weekend! :) Stay safe and God bless!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrat's on the pub!!! That is truly awesome. I wish your daughter continued good health.