Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Field Trip to the ER




Obviously, I can't seem to find the extra time anywhere in my day to blog, so I'm sorta borrowing it from my "me time". Most days, at 3pm, I sit down with cup of java and my current read, and enjoy being done with work and school. Today, I'm here.....


So yesterday, at approximately 5:25, the girls are in the front yard "golfing" and I'm getting dinner on the plates, when I hear one of Erin's screams. My baby girl is a vocal one, sporting a variety of high-pitched, glass-shattering squeals. This was not one of her normal ones, nor did it sound like one of her usual "I'm hurt" screams. So with a bit of irritation, I made my way to the door, to call them in for dinner.


Before I can make it to the stairs, Alana opens the door and says, in her best "I'm in trouble again" voice, "Mom, Erin's hurt". We we walk out onto the front stoop together and see Erin walking towards us, screaming. Both of us realize at the same moment how horrible it is. Alana gasps, "Oh my God!" And I, miracuously, do not launch into hysterics as I want to, but "man-up" and be the mom. The blood is dripping down her face and arm from her eye, which, at first glance, appears to have taken the blow. The blow from what, you ask. That would be a golf club, thank you very much.


Ok, I get Erin sitting with Alana. I run into the house for a washcloth, ice pack and phone. I call Barry at work to tell him, "Please come home now! We have to get Erin to the ER!" with screaming kids and a freaked out dog in the background for a perfect theatrical effect. After he confirms that I don't need to be calling an ambulance, he says he's on his way.


I'm doing the "mom" thing now....throwing the girls' dinners in baggies, grabbing water bottles, books and their pink backpack which holds their markers and paper for on-the-go artistry. Erin, my darling, is now calmed a bit, but worried about the blood on her favorite pants. :)


Of course, the clinic in town is now closed, so off we go to Urgent Care in Eau Claire. On, the way, Erin is very scared about the stitches.....and trust me, one look at the gaping hole and you know it needs stitches. So, to distract her and give me something to do besides freak out, I call big brother Tony. He got stitches...he'll tell you it's no problem. And he did. Now she says she's gonna throw up. I know! Let's call Grampa! He's had LOTS of stitches! By the time we hung up with Gramps, we had arrived at Urgent Care. As I'm checking in, two nurses come over to look at the wound.


"What did she bump into?" Bump into? "A golf club," I said. "How did she bump into a golf club?" Seriously. Do I really have to explain my distrust of the medical community? Then this brilliant woman says, "Oh, you'll have to take her downtown (the ER). The last time we had a wound like that from a golf club (this happens often?) there was a skull fracture." Woman. Must you say this to a distraught mother and her children? I start crying again. And as we're walking out the door, Alana's says, "What's a skull fracture?" and Erin says, "Am I gonna die?"


Thankfully, the ER was a much better experience. The nurses were nice and our doctor was fantastic. He said he had a 6 year old, too, and it was obvious with the way he handled Erin. For her part, I couldn't have been prouder! She was calm and brave. She's one tough cookie!


She suffered through a cat scan (can you say, "There goes our summer vacation"?) and 4 stitches (I thought it would take many more), even calm (and bored) enough inbetween to color. And, thank the Lord again, she hasn't been in much pain at all, even today. Tough. As nails.


So, I ask myself last night in bed, what is God trying to teach me? To love my kids more? Not possible, but maybe I could give them more attention and be more patient. That I'm lucky for the health we all have? That I'm blessed to live in a country with accessible, quality health care, and insurance to pay for it? That I married well? (Some men, I know, would've said, "Take care of it yourself." I know he never would.) That you never know what's gonna happen when, and you need to live each day for God, as He wills? To all of these, most definately!


So, girls, what's on the agenda for tonight? :)


1 comment:

Jenn aka boysmama said...

OMG...you needed to WARN me before I read that...my stomache just launched into the dryer effect. I'm SO not good with blood. UGH. That looks horrible. I'm SO proud of you..I would have freaked out (and totally would have NOT packed dinner and entertainment...what kind of mom am I???). I'm so glad she is okay...and I cannot believe you were able to get pictures of her being SO dang calm!!!
(((hugs)))